Tuesday 13 March 2012

Name our House

I could use your help.  I would like to name the house/property we hope to build on.  One reason is because it seems all projects that are in some way different from the norm are named in this day and age.  But the main reason is because the property I grew up on was named.  It was called Gananakwa, which at the time I was told meant "Singing Waters" in some form of Native Indian dialect.  Now upon resent research, I have determined that this was probably a made up name, but I would like to name our new project with a similar theme.

So let me tell you a few features of the  property that may help:

  • There will most likely be running water features at the front and back of the dwelling.
  • The property is surrounded by 8 120ft+ tall cedars (fortunately they are generally to the North West to block the evening summer sun that would otherwise overheat the house)
  • The house will be built to a Passivhaus theme (ie. very well insulated and air tight with high performing windows)
  • We will have a very low slop roof (almost flat)
  • The theme of the design will be 'Modern West Coast' and will involve a lot of natural woods.
  • We are located in North Vancouver near the Capilano River but do not have a view (except will have partial view of mountains - Grouse - once we have a second floor.
  • The rear (west) and south side of the dwelling will be flower gardens, vegetable and fruit gardens, paths, arbours, waterfall, man made stream, pond, bridge, etc.  No lawns.
  • The property is flat.
I would appreciate any suggestions that you may all have and will provide a $50 gift certificate to the person that comes up with a name that we choose. There is no guarantee that we will choose any but if a suggestion helps us choose a name, then I will also pay out.  If you would like more info on the project to help in your selection, please contact me.  The name does not have to be in English as long as it is reasonably pronounceable by someone not speaking the language of the name.

I reserve the name "Singing Waters" and would love to hear your take on this choice.

I look forward to your input.

No comments: